July 30, 2014– In April of this year New York City’s Mayor signed the “Paid Sick Leave Act” into law. This law impacts all existing, and new NYC workers, employed after May 1, 2014. Below are some of the highlights of the law:
What is the Purpose of the Act?
The act provides Sick Leave for all employees in New York City, employed on or after May 1, 2014.
Who is Covered?
- The act covers all companies in New York City, employing 5 people, or more.
- Both Full and Part time employees are eligible, so long as they work a total of 80 hours in one calendar year.
- In the case of domestic workers there is no “5 employee” requirement to obtain coverage.
What is required of Employers Under the Act?
- Employers with 5 employees, or more, must provide PAID sick leave to covered employees.
- Employers with less than 5 employees must allow employees to access the same sick leave time as their larger counterparts; however, these small employers are not required to pay employees for the sick time.