New York Employment Law Firm Serving New York City, Long Island, Westchester, and Rockland
There are very few deductions that are legally allowed to be taken from an employee’s wages in New York State (other than those required by law). They include things like lodging and meals (although very limited in both cases), lost merchandise, lost tools, short cash, purchased products, etc. — each of which is conditioned upon certain circumstances.
Some unlawful payroll deductions often made by employers include:
- Losses, shortages, and breakages, such as loss from a cash register, or loss or damage to an employer’s goods, machinery, or tools
- Drug/alcohol tests
- Background checks
- Uniforms, without obtaining a Uniform Deposit Waiver
- Safety equipment/protective clothing
- Medical/physical examinations
- Photographs of applicant or employee
- Business expenses
If you believe your employer has made wrongful deductions from your paycheck, call the law firm of Neil H. Greenberg & Associates today at 1-866-546-4752 to schedule a free consultation. The firm’s team of skilled and experienced attorneys are waiting to answer your questions and to help you protect your legal rights.